Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

The smallest possible zip files

Whilst there are many file formats that offer better compression, the ZIP file format is still very widely used, and in fact experiencing a surge in popularity again, since it is the basis for a number of other file formats, including
With this in mind, I did a quick and largely unscientific test of a number of Windows based command line zip utilities, to see which one produced the smallest files. In all cases, I set the parameters to give what I believed was the most compression. I was compressing just one file at a time (since that was what my particular scenario needed).

The results were:
So the overall winner was 7-Zip - across my selection of 42 files of varing sizes, it produced a total compressed size of 104K, compared to 109K for each of the other 2 programs.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home