Tuesday, December 14, 2004

 

How MSN Desktop Search triggers my virus detector

I left MSN Desktop Search indexing my machine overnight, and returned to my desk this morning to find that our IT department were more than a little concerned that my machine was now apparently riddled with viruses - since they had been receiving alerts throughout the night of viruses which kept appearing on my machine.

Piecing together what had happened showed the following:
None of the other desktop search products has given me this problem. (Copernic in particular makes it very easy to choose which folders within my Outlook email it should index). Net result is that I cant afford to incure the wrath of the IT department, and will be disabling MSN desktop search. (I rather expect an edict from the IT guys as well that prohibits others in the company installing this product).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home